Cursive Writing

1:36 PM Edit This 0 Comments »

In an article found in the USA Today, Megan Downs discusses the debate of whether or not to continue teaching cursive writing in schools. In an age where letter writing is somewhat "old-fashioned," handwriting skills are not as stressed upon as they once were.  I remember learning cursive writing in school, and it was something that most students looked forward to. Up until high school, our teachers required us to do all papers in cursive writing. Once we entered high school, the days of writing in cursive quickly disappeared. Some teachers would actually get angry if students would write in cursive, because they thought that it was harder to read. All work could be done in one's individual handwriting, and papers were now expected to be typed on a computer. The only time that I find myself writing in cursive now, is when I have to sign my name on something. Downs states that"Others blame the rise of the Internet, combined with a push to ensure that children are technologically literate, for rendering delicate handwriting an art of yesteryear" (Megan Downs, 2009). Although many teachers might argue that teaching cursive writing takes up too much time, I believe that it should continued to be taught in schools. As technology is quickly becoming the number one way of communicating, there are certain situations in which a hand-written note is necessary. In the future, I will, just as my mother did, make my children write hand-written thank you notes upon receiving a gift. One's signature is something that is used almost daily, whether for credit cards, checks, or at the end of letters. For all of these reasons, I feel as if it is important to keep teaching cursive writing in schools.


-Downs, M. (2009, January 23). School debate: Is cursive writing worth teaching?. USA Today. Retrieved from http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2009-01-23-cursive-handwriting_N.htm

0 comments: